Senior Multimedia Reporter
radhica.sookraj@guardian.co.tt
Amid reported discontent within the party over the selection of some General Election candidates, Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar has assured supporters that she is not worried about any fallout and says “all is well.”
Speaking at the Moruga Multipurpose Youth and Sporting Complex yesterday, where 38 groups gathered for worship and celebration in commemoration of Spiritual Baptist Liberation Day, Persad-Bissessar dismissed concerns over controversial United National Congress (UNC) candidate selections.
Speaking to Guardian Media from her seat during the celebrations, Persad-Bissessar assured her supporters they need not worry about the developments, saying, “All is well. All is well. The sun is in the sky. I am not worried. I am not worried. I put my faith in the hands of the Lord.”
Regarding concerns over the selection of former police superintendent Roger Alexander for the Tunapuna constituency, she questioned allegations that he was chosen without screening. (See page 7)
“How do they know that? Exactly! God is great. We shall survive. We shall succeed,” she said.
On the rejection of Senator Jayanti Lutchmedial, who was screened for the Naparima seat, and the rejection of Couva South MP Ravi Ratiram, Persad-Bissessar said, “We cannot please every single person in the world. There will always be some who will be content and some discontented. I cannot allow discontent to hold us back.
“We have to grow forward. I believe we are on the right track. We cannot please everyone, but we must try to please the majority of them, and we move forward.”
Asked about long-standing members in favour of newcomers (like Roger Alexander and Phillip Watts), she said, “It is the story of life. That is the story of life.”
On claims that Couva South MP Rudy Indarsingh had also been rejected, she responded, “And who said Indarsingh has been removed? That is news to me. Is there another leader of the party? Is there another screening committee?”
Regarding speculation that retired assistant police commissioner Deodath Dulalchan was also being considered for Chaguanas West, she did not confirm or deny, explaining, “We have not made those final decisions, and those will be made over the coming days.”
She also did not address National Transformation Alliance leader Gary Griffith’s call for dissidents to join him. Instead, she said, “We are in a blessed time here with the Shouter Baptists, and we are in Eid, and we are in Lent. We put our faith in God.”
On Saturday, reports emerged that Rushton Paray, Anita Haynes-Alleyne, and Jayanti Lutchmedial-Ramdial had been rejected by the UNC’s national executive and would not contest the Mayaro, Tabaquite, and Naparima seats. Nicolas Morris was selected for Mayaro, while Dr Narindra Roopnarine was given the Naparima seat, ahead of Kamini Ramraj, who had been endorsed by former Naparima MP Nizam Baksh.
Haynes-Alleyne was unavailable for comment yesterday, but sources close to her said she had decided to defer comment for now.
An official from the Naparima constituency expressed discontent in a message, stating, “The announcement of the candidate for Naparima has left us deeply disappointed yet again. At this point, we find ourselves at a loss, uncertain of the next steps to take. Perhaps the best course of action is to let this election run its course and observe how events unfold, as we brace ourselves for another term in opposition.
“It is clear that we must regroup and devise a solid plan to replace the current leadership with individuals who possess a stronger vision for the future. Kamla has once again manoeuvred skilfully to suppress her own supporters, perfecting the art of remaining in Opposition.”
Guardian Media was reliably informed that Vijay Gosein was selected for Cumuto/Manzanilla.
Meanwhile, former UNC MP Rai Ragbir called the removal of Paray from the UNC’s slate of election candidates nothing short of political spite.
“Mr Paray is deeply loved by the people of Mayaro, not because of party affiliation but because of his proven dedication, hard work, and unwavering advocacy for his constituents. His removal has nothing to do with his performance or ability—it is a calculated act of vindictiveness that prioritises loyalty to one individual over the interests of the people,” Ragbir said in a release yesterday.
He added, “The people of Mayaro deserve better than to be treated as pawns in an internal power game. They deserve representatives who are chosen based on service, merit, and their ability to effect real change—not based on their willingness to bow to a single individual’s political whims. Today, Mayaro loses a dedicated representative, but the bigger loss is to the democratic values we should all be fighting to uphold.”