Lead Editor - Newsgathering
ryan.bachoo@cnc3.co.tt
National Transformation Alliance (NTA) political leader Gary Griffith says the doors of his party are open to United National Congress dissidents Rushton Paray, Dr Rai Ragbir, Anita Haynes-Alleyne, Dinesh Rambally and Rodney Charles.
Griffith made the statement as the NTA yesterday revealed three more candidates for the upcoming General Election on April 28.
His call came less than 24 hours after Paray was snubbed by the UNC to return as its candidate for the Mayaro constituency. Instead, the Opposition announced that Nicholas Morris was its prospective candidate for the area during a meeting in Sangre Grande on Saturday night.
During a media conference yesterday, Griffith, the former Minister of National Security under the UNC, said, “Our doors are open. We are welcoming each and everyone. The doors are open, and the seats are there for you to be part and parcel of the NTA.”
Griffith also slammed the UNC under Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s leadership, saying it has moved from a democracy to hypocrisy.
He said, “Democracy is one when you as a political party - it is your right to be able to participate in an independent, democratic process to be in a national executive. Anytime somebody is upset because you have exercised your democratic right to be in a national executive and you get upset about it and you remove that person as a Member of Parliament, it shows that your political party is no longer a democratic one.”
The former police commissioner also used the opportunity to challenge Prime Minister Stuart Young and the Opposition Leader to a debate.
Meanwhile, Griffith revealed that media personality and comedian Errol Fabien will contest the constituency of Point Fortin, while Richard Thomas will come up against Young as he vies for the Port-of-Spain North/St Ann’s West constituency. Alvin Cudjoe will contest the La Horquetta/Talparo seat for the party.
Griffith also took aim at both the PNM and the UNC for both parties’ failure to implement campaign finance reform, saying the lack of legislation helps the two major parties in the country. He also slammed the Council for Responsible Political Behaviour for being mum on the issue.
Griffith said, “You don’t need to go to Las Vegas. As a businessman or as a contractor, why go to Las Vegas when you have to select between black and white and there is a 50-50 chance that you can double your money or lose, when all you need to do is come to T&T politics, come to a general election, put 10 million dollars on the PNM, put $10 million dollars on the UNC and in your first month, you are going to get a $50 million dollar contract to double what you put in your first investment and you have that for the next four years and 11 months. If that is not corruption, then what is?”
He also urged members of the public not to deface public and private property with political messages during the campaign. He called on the police to arrest such individuals, as it is a crime. Griffith also took issue with the UNC’s use of blue in its political messaging, saying this blurs the line with his party and there is a reason why political parties use different colours to distinguish themselves.
Contacted on Griffith’s overture yesterday, former Chaguanas West MP Dinesh Rambally said, “I wish to clarify that since my departure as a Member of Parliament, I have also resigned as a lifetime member of the United National Congress. As such, I am not a ‘UNC dissident’ - just an ordinary citizen.”
Rambally noted that he was now spending time with his family and had not made any decisions regarding his future (when it comes to politics).
“I wish captain Gary Griffith and the NTA all the best in their endeavours.” Guardian Media also reached out to the outgoing MP for Tabaquite Anita Haynes-Alleyne but she reserved her comment for another time.
Giving an update on whether she had been chosen to run for Tabaquite again for the UNC, Haynes-Alleyne said the party had not communicated with her on the matter.