With the United National Congress still to reveal 15 remaining candidates, political analyst Dr Shane Mohammed is suggesting the party's strategy of sporadically announcing its candidates for the April 28 poll was possibly due to political leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar being wary of incumbent MPs dissenting before the election.
Mohammed questioned the use of the tactic with the General Election 26 days away.
"Nomination day is on Friday, it makes no sense to be holding or dangling this carrot on a stick over the heads of these persons," Mohammed said in an interview with Guardian Media on Tuesday.
"At this stage, bite the bullet and simply just make the announcement. There is no backlash," he added.
Describing the election as unprecedented in terms of new and smaller political parties joining the fray traditionally dominated by the UNC and People's National Movement, Mohammed said that citizens had choices if they were disenchanted with the two main political parties and still wanted to exercise their franchise.
"It is an open field for any of the political parties whose candidates they believe are best suited to them," he said.
Noting that the incumbent PNM announced its candidates well before the election date was set by Prime Minister Stuart Young, last month, Mohammed noted that it (the PNM) did not select candidates based on the varying demographics in constituencies but rather on their ability to perform.
"Look at the PNM slate. If the candidate can do the work, they are selected. In 2025, people want someone who is committed to the cause, sensitive to their needs and would answer the call to effectively govern this country," Mohammed said.
Meanwhile, incumbent Tabaquite Member of Parliament Anita Haynes-Alleyne, who screened to again contest the constituency, said that she was waiting on an official announcement from Persad-Bissessar.
"I have been looking on attentively at the developments since the election date was called, and I am prepared for any outcome," Haynes-Alleyne said on Tuesday.
Haynes-Alleyne was among five MPs who raised concerns about the leadership of the UNC and questioned when the party's national executive elections would have been held last year. The election eventually took place in June 2024.
The others who also voiced their concerns were incumbent MPs for Cumuto/Manzanilla Dr Rai Ragbir, Chaguanas West Dinesh Rambally, Mayaro Rushton Paray and Naparima Rodney Charles.
Both Ragbir and Rambally put themselves forward for re-election but withdrew before they were screened by the party. Charles signalled his intention to retire from active politics well before the election was announced.
Paray was screened by the party but the UNC's international relations officer Nicholas Morris was revealed as the prospective candidate during a campaign meeting in the Toco/Sangre Grande constituency on Saturday.
Former police officer Roger Alexander was announced as the prospective candidate for Tunapuna at the meeting.
Persad-Bissessar has dismissed any potential fallout from the dissenting MPs.