Senior Reporter
anna-lisa.paul@guardian.co.tt
“Are we beggars?”
Challenging Culture Minister Randall Mitchell to answer this question yesterday, as she said they had not applied for any funding this year, Archbishop Barbara Gray-Burke said the measly offer from the Government of $30,000 to host 2025 Spiritual Baptist Liberation Day celebrations in Mausica was too little and insulting.
“I did not apply for one red cent,” Burke said during observances at the Empowerment Hall on the Churchill Roosevelt Highway.
“They asking you one set of questions over and over, and only giving you $30,000.”
Telling them “to keep yuh $30,000,” Burke said her faction had managed to pull off their celebrations through God’s blessings.
Looking ahead, she said, “I will show you how God will bless us.”
Admitting this was the first year she had not applied for State funding, Burke revealed, “Last year, they give $40,000. What happen? Are we beggars?”
She was critical of Prime Minister Stuart Young, as she said, “He is the first Prime Minister do that.”
Archbishop Myrtle Bristol, who heads the Maryland, US faction, chimed in, “Why should one archdiocese get millions and the woman who is responsible for the holiday...they didn’t want it and she fought for it and got it, and it is like she doesn’t exist?”
Pointing to the plans Burke had on the table, Bristol said, “She can prove where the money is going.”
Bristol continued, “We know how much money they have gotten over the years and they have nothing to show for it.”
Burke said the financial information was confirmed to them after they filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, which Bristol said showed the Burke-led faction had received $40,000 while another faction received over $300,000.
Shaking the maracs clasped in her right hand, Burke said, “God not blessing the money.”
Indicating she will continue to enjoy God’s blessings as she marched towards opening a home for the aged by May, Burke said, “We started building the place. We used to let the Vincentians stay in it, the Barbadians, when they come down and all these different people, but we prepared now that we eh doing that again.”
She added, “We promised the elderly that we would have built them a home for the aged and we are sticking to our promise.”
Construction of the facility is already underway next to the church, she said.
While Burke was complaining yesterday, another faction of the Spiritual Baptist faith, led by Ecclesiastical head Patriarch Wayne Jones, was last week presented with a $10 million cheque by Young for the completion of a cathedral, administrative complex and heritage park in Couva. The awarding of the grant fulfilled a promise by former Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley to support the Spiritual Baptist faith back in 2020 – and was approved by Cabinet on February 20.
This was second part of Government’s contribution to making this a reality, as back in 2019, government would have granted the Spiritual Baptist community, along with other religious groups, access to State land.
An initial $10 million grant was provided at that time to start their project.
Minister Mitchell responds
Contacted for comment yesterday, Mitchell noted that Archbishop Burke had confirmed her organisation received funding for their previous celebrations.
“This year, Archbishop Burke’s organisation DID NOT apply. I am told that ministry staff called on several occasions since February and into March to advise and remind of the application process and to ensure early application for grant funding.
“Once an application for grant funding from the National Days and Festivals Fund is made, it is processed and assessed by the grants and sponsorship committee in the ministry, where recommendations are made to the Permanent Secretary and the Minister for administrative sign-off. It is then taken to Cabinet for its noting.”
He said recommendations for funding are based on several things.
“The application process is grounded in policy, is transparent, and can stand scrutiny,” he said.
Asked if Burke’s alliance to the UNC had influenced the amount of funding her organisation received funding, Mitchell said, “Her political allegiance has nothing to do with the funding she has received over the last nine years. Her political allegiance, however, has everything to do with her unfortunate comments.”