JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Rowley hoping daughter in US returns home for Christmas

by

Anna Lisa Paul
1580 days ago
20201205
Dr Sonel Rowley-Stewart

Dr Sonel Rowley-Stewart

Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley is hold­ing out hope that his daugh­ter Dr Sonel Row­ley-Stew­art will be among those na­tion­als who will be al­lowed to re­turn to T&T dur­ing this hol­i­day pe­ri­od.

Con­firm­ing his long­ing as a fa­ther, Row­ley said his daugh­ter had al­ready ap­plied for an ex­emp­tion to re­turn home from the US and was in the process of ful­fill­ing the re­main­ing re­quire­ments.

Speak­ing dur­ing Sat­ur­day’s me­dia brief­ing at the Diplo­mat­ic Cen­tre, St Ann’s, the prime min­is­ter said while it was his wish to have her spend the Christ­mas hol­i­day with the fam­i­ly, he joked that it was in the hands of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­is­ter Stu­art Young as part of the na­tion­al process.

Pro­vid­ing an up­date on the thou­sands of ex­emp­tions that had been re­ceived from peo­ple want­i­ng to re-en­ter T&T as well as leave T&T, Young said as at De­cem­ber 4 a to­tal of 15,471 ap­pli­ca­tions had been re­ceived from peo­ple de­sirous of re­turn­ing home. From No­vem­ber 20 to De­cem­ber 4 a to­tal of 1,549 ap­pli­ca­tions had been re­ceived from this cat­e­go­ry.

Ex­emp­tions grant­ed to peo­ple to re-en­ter T&T up to De­cem­ber 4 stood at 8,500.

Hav­ing in­creased repa­tri­a­tions with­in the last few weeks, Young said ad­di­tion­al flights had been added to var­i­ous routes.

Con­firm­ing they had now reached max­i­mum ca­pac­i­ty at state-su­per­vised fa­cil­i­ties/ho­tels yes­ter­day, Young said spe­cial arrange­ments were be­ing made to bring home sea­son­al work­ers who had gone to Cana­da.

He said one batch of work­ers had al­ready re­turned to T&T, while dis­cus­sions were un­der­way with the Cana­di­an au­thor­i­ties on how this could be fur­ther fa­cil­i­tat­ed.

Ex­ten­sion for Venezue­lans grant­ed amnesty

Young has said al­though the ex­tend­ed reg­is­tra­tion of the 16,000 plus Venezue­lan mi­grants who had been grant­ed amnesty would ex­pire on De­cem­ber 31, dis­cus­sions have al­ready tak­en place at the lev­el of the Cab­i­net to ex­tend it fur­ther.

He said while no de­fin­i­tive de­ci­sions has been tak­en, it was most like­ly that reg­is­tered mi­grants would be asked to fill out new forms and up­date their in­for­ma­tion pro­files in an at­tempt to en­sure their con­tin­ued res­i­den­cy. Young said no new reg­is­tra­tion ex­er­cis­es would be held.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored