JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Sunday, April 6, 2025

Myanmar earthquake death toll surpasses 2700 as hope for survivors fade

by

4 days ago
20250401
Myanmar's rescuers work through rubble of a collapsed building following Friday's earthquake in Naypyitaw, Myanmar, Tuesday, April 1, 2025. (AP Photo)

Myanmar's rescuers work through rubble of a collapsed building following Friday's earthquake in Naypyitaw, Myanmar, Tuesday, April 1, 2025. (AP Photo)

Uncredited

Res­cue work­ers saved a 63-year-old woman from the rub­ble of a build­ing in Myan­mar’s cap­i­tal on Tues­day, but hope was fad­ing of find­ing many more sur­vivors of the vi­o­lent earth­quake that killed more than 2,700 peo­ple, com­pound­ing a hu­man­i­tar­i­an cri­sis caused by a civ­il war.

The fire de­part­ment in Naypy­itaw said the woman was suc­cess­ful­ly pulled from the rub­ble 91 hours af­ter be­ing buried when the build­ing col­lapsed in the 7.7 mag­ni­tude earth­quake that hit mid­day Fri­day. Ex­perts say the like­li­hood of find­ing sur­vivors drops dra­mat­i­cal­ly af­ter 72 hours.

Death toll num­bers fore­cast to in­crease

The head of Myan­mar’s mil­i­tary gov­ern­ment, Se­nior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing, told a fo­rum in Naypy­itaw, that 2,719 peo­ple have now been found dead, with 4,521 oth­ers in­jured and 441 miss­ing, Myan­mar’s West­ern News on­line por­tal re­port­ed.

Those fig­ures are wide­ly ex­pect­ed to rise, but the earth­quake hit a wide swath of the coun­try, leav­ing many ar­eas with­out pow­er, tele­phone or cell con­nec­tions and dam­ag­ing roads and bridges, leav­ing the full ex­tent of the dev­as­ta­tion hard to as­sess.

Most of the re­ports so far have come from Man­dalay, Myan­mar’s sec­ond-largest city, which was near the epi­cen­ter of the earth­quake, and Naypy­itaw.

“The needs are mas­sive, and they are ris­ing by the hour,” said Ju­lia Rees, UNICEF’s deputy rep­re­sen­ta­tive for Myan­mar.

“The win­dow for life­sav­ing re­sponse is clos­ing. Across the af­fect­ed ar­eas, fam­i­lies are fac­ing acute short­ages of clean wa­ter, food, and med­ical sup­plies.”

Myan­mar’s fire de­part­ment said that 403 peo­ple have been res­cued in Man­dalay and 259 bod­ies have been found so far. In one in­ci­dent alone, 50 Bud­dhist monks who were tak­ing a re­li­gious ex­am in a monastery were killed when the build­ing col­lapsed and 150 more are thought to be buried in the rub­ble.

Struc­tur­al dam­age is ex­ten­sive

The World Health Or­ga­ni­za­tion said that more than 10,000 build­ings over­all are known to have col­lapsed or been se­vere­ly dam­aged in cen­tral and north­west Myan­mar.

The earth­quake al­so rocked neigh­bour­ing Thai­land, caus­ing a high-rise build­ing un­der con­struc­tion to col­lapse and bury­ing many work­ers.

Two bod­ies were pulled from the rub­ble on Mon­day and an­oth­er was re­cov­ered Tues­day, but dozens were still miss­ing. Over­all, there were 21 peo­ple killed and 34 in­jured in Bangkok, pri­mar­i­ly at the con­struc­tion site.

In Myan­mar, search and res­cue ef­forts across the af­fect­ed area paused briefly at mid­day on Tues­day as peo­ple stood for a minute in silent trib­ute to the dead.

Re­lief ef­forts mov­ing at a slug­gish pace

For­eign aid work­ers have been ar­riv­ing slow­ly to help in the res­cue ef­forts, but progress was still slow with a lack of heavy ma­chin­ery in many places.

In one site in Naypy­itaw on Tues­day, work­ers formed a hu­man chain, pass­ing chunks of brick and con­crete out hand-by-hand from the ru­ins of a col­lapsed build­ing.

The Myan­mar mil­i­tary gov­ern­ment’s of­fi­cial Glob­al New Light of Myan­mar re­port­ed Tues­day that a team of Chi­nese res­cuers saved four peo­ple the day be­fore from the ru­ins of the Sky Vil­la, a large apart­ment com­plex that col­lapsed dur­ing the quake. They in­clud­ed a 5-year-old and a preg­nant woman who had been trapped for more than 60 hours.

The same pub­li­ca­tion al­so re­port­ed two teenagers were able to crawl out of the rub­ble of the same build­ing to where res­cue crews were work­ing, us­ing their cell­phone flash­lights to help guide them. The res­cue work­ers were then able to use de­tails from what they told them to lo­cate their grand­moth­er and sib­ling.

In­ter­na­tion­al res­cue teams from sev­er­al coun­tries are on the scene, in­clud­ing from Rus­sia, Chi­na, In­dia, the Unit­ed Arab Emi­rates and sev­er­al South­east Asian coun­tries. The U.S. Em­bassy said an Amer­i­can team had been sent but hadn’t yet ar­rived.

Aid pledges pour­ing in as of­fi­cials warn of dis­ease out­break risk

Mean­time, mul­ti­ple coun­tries have pledged mil­lions in aid to as­sist Myan­mar and hu­man­i­tar­i­an aid or­ga­ni­za­tions with the mon­u­men­tal task ahead.

Even be­fore the earth­quake, more than 3 mil­lion peo­ple had been dis­placed from their homes by Myan­mar’s bru­tal civ­il war, and near­ly 20 mil­lion were in need, ac­cord­ing to the U.N.

Many were al­ready lack­ing in ba­sic med­ical care and stan­dard vac­ci­na­tions, and the de­struc­tion of wa­ter and san­i­ta­tion in­fra­struc­ture by the earth­quake rais­es the risk of dis­ease out­breaks, warned the U.N.'s Of­fice for the Co­or­di­na­tion of Hu­man­i­tar­i­an Af­fairs.

“The dis­place­ment of thou­sands in­to over­crowd­ed shel­ters, cou­pled with the de­struc­tion of wa­ter and san­i­ta­tion in­fra­struc­ture, has sig­nif­i­cant­ly height­ened the risk of com­mu­ni­ca­ble dis­ease out­breaks,” OCHA said in its lat­est re­port.

“Vul­ner­a­bil­i­ty to res­pi­ra­to­ry in­fec­tions, skin dis­eases, vec­tor-borne ill­ness­es such as dengue fever, and vac­cine-pre­ventable dis­eases like measles is es­ca­lat­ing,” it added.

The on­set of mon­soon sea­son al­so a wor­ry

Shel­ter is al­so a ma­jor prob­lem, es­pe­cial­ly with the mon­soon sea­son loom­ing.

Since the earth­quake, many peo­ple have been sleep­ing out­side, ei­ther be­cause homes were de­stroyed or out of fear of af­ter­shocks.

Civ­il war com­pli­cates dis­as­ter re­lief

Myan­mar’s mil­i­tary seized pow­er in 2021 from the de­mo­c­ra­t­i­cal­ly elect­ed gov­ern­ment of Aung San Suu Kyi, spark­ing what has turned in­to sig­nif­i­cant armed re­sis­tance and a bru­tal civ­il war.

Gov­ern­ment forces have lost con­trol of much of Myan­mar, and many places were dan­ger­ous or im­pos­si­ble for aid groups to reach even be­fore the quake.

Mil­i­tary at­tacks and those from some an­ti-mil­i­tary groups have not stopped in the af­ter­math of the earth­quake, though the shad­ow op­po­si­tion Na­tion­al Uni­ty Gov­ern­ment has called a uni­lat­er­al cease­fire for its forces.

The NUG, es­tab­lished by elect­ed law­mak­ers who were oust­ed in 2021, called for the in­ter­na­tion­al com­mu­ni­ty to en­sure hu­man­i­tar­i­an aid is de­liv­ered di­rect­ly to the earth­quake vic­tims, urg­ing “vig­i­lance against any at­tempts by the mil­i­tary jun­ta to di­vert or ob­struct hu­man­i­tar­i­an as­sis­tance.”

“We are in a race against time to save lives,” the NUG said in a state­ment.

“Any ob­struc­tion to these ef­forts will have dev­as­tat­ing con­se­quences, not on­ly due to the im­pact of the earth­quake but al­so be­cause of the jun­ta’s con­tin­ued bru­tal­i­ty, which ac­tive­ly hin­ders the de­liv­ery of life­sav­ing as­sis­tance.”

It wasn’t im­me­di­ate­ly clear whether the mil­i­tary has been im­ped­ing hu­man­i­tar­i­an aid. In the past, it ini­tial­ly re­fused to al­low in for­eign res­cue teams or many emer­gency sup­plies af­ter Cy­clone Nar­gis in 2008, which re­sult­ed in well more than 100,000 deaths. Even once it did al­low for­eign as­sis­tance, it was with se­vere re­stric­tions.

In this case, how­ev­er, Min Aung Hlaing, point­ed­ly said on the day of the earth­quake that the coun­try would ac­cept out­side help.

Tom An­drews, a mon­i­tor on rights in Myan­mar com­mis­sioned by the U.N.-backed Hu­man Rights Coun­cil, said on X that to fa­cil­i­tate aid, mil­i­tary at­tacks must stop.

“The fo­cus in Myan­mar must be on sav­ing lives, not tak­ing them,” he said.

Grant Peck and Jin­ta­mas Sak­sorn­chai in Bangkok, and Jamey Keat­en in Gene­va, con­tributed to this sto­ry.

BANGKOK (AP) —

EarthquakeInstagramInternational


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored