JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Israel’s Cabinet now meeting to consider ceasefire deal

by

GUARDIAN MEDIA NEWSROOM
76 days ago
20250117
This photo provided by the Israeli Government Press Office, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, center, convened his security Cabinet to vote on a ceasefire deal after confirming an agreement had been reached that would pause the 15-month war with Hamas in Gaza, in Jerusalem, Friday, Jan. 17, 2025. (Koby Gideon/Israeli Government Press Office via AP)

This photo provided by the Israeli Government Press Office, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, center, convened his security Cabinet to vote on a ceasefire deal after confirming an agreement had been reached that would pause the 15-month war with Hamas in Gaza, in Jerusalem, Friday, Jan. 17, 2025. (Koby Gideon/Israeli Government Press Office via AP)

Koby Gideon

Source: THE AS­SO­CI­AT­ED PRESS

 

Is­raeli Prime Min­is­ter Ben­jamin Ne­tanyahu’s of­fice says the meet­ing of the full Cab­i­net has be­gun on Fri­day evening. The Cab­i­net is ex­pect­ed to ap­prove the agree­ment on the cease­fire, which could start as soon as Sun­day.

The cease­fire has drawn fierce re­sis­tance from Ne­tanyahu’s far-right coali­tion part­ners, but their ob­jec­tions could desta­bi­lize his gov­ern­ment.

The full Cab­i­net meet­ing fol­lows one held ear­li­er Fri­day by Is­rael’s se­cu­ri­ty Cab­i­net, which rec­om­mend­ed ap­proval.

The agree­ment would bring re­lief to the hard-hit Gaza Strip, where Is­rael’s of­fen­sive has re­duced large ar­eas to rub­ble and dis­placed around 90% of the pop­u­la­tion of 2.3 mil­lion, many at risk of famine.

 

Here are more up­dates and de­vel­op­ments…

 

Is­rael pub­lish­es list of 95 Pales­tin­ian pris­on­ers set to be re­leased

 

Is­rael’s Jus­tice Min­istry has pub­lished a list of 95 Pales­tin­ian pris­on­ers who are set to be re­leased on Sun­day dur­ing the first stage of the cease­fire deal.

The list in­clud­ed 25 male pris­on­ers slat­ed for re­lease, all un­der age 21, and 70 fe­male pris­on­ers. The youngest pris­on­ers that will be re­leased are 16 years old.

They were ac­cused of crimes in­clud­ing in­cite­ment, van­dal­ism, sup­port­ing ter­ror­ism, at­tempt­ed mur­der, or throw­ing stones or Molo­tov cock­tails.

One of the most well-known pris­on­ers on the list is Khal­i­da Jar­rar, 62, a lead­ing mem­ber of the Pop­u­lar Front for the Lib­er­a­tion of Pales­tine. He has been in and out of Is­raeli prison in re­cent years. The New York-based Hu­man Rights Watch said Jar­rar’s re­peat­ed ar­rests are part of Is­rael’s wider crack­down on non-vi­o­lent po­lit­i­cal op­po­si­tion.

Is­rael’s Prison Ser­vices said it would car­ry out the trans­porta­tion of the pris­on­ers rather than the In­ter­na­tion­al Red Cross, to avoid “pub­lic ex­pres­sions of joy.”

The lists of pris­on­ers are pub­lished to al­low mem­bers of the pub­lic to pe­ti­tion Is­raeli courts against the re­lease of a spe­cif­ic pris­on­er. Mem­bers of the pub­lic can sub­mit pe­ti­tions up un­til the pris­on­ers are re­leased on Sun­day, a spokesper­son for the Jus­tice Min­istry said.

A woman walks past photos of hostages held by Hamas in the Gaza Strip, in Jerusalem, Friday, Jan. 17, 2025. (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)

A woman walks past photos of hostages held by Hamas in the Gaza Strip, in Jerusalem, Friday, Jan. 17, 2025. (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)

Mahmoud Illean

 

 

Med­ical staff in Is­rael pre­pare for hostages’ re­turn

By SAM MED­NICK

 

As Is­rael pre­pares for the re­turn of hostages, med­ical staff say they’re con­cerned about how long peo­ple have been in cap­tiv­i­ty.

Six hos­pi­tals through­out the coun­try are prepar­ing to re­ceive the hostages. “Our main con­cern is the long time ... they are prob­a­bly held in very very bad con­di­tions, lack of nu­tri­tion, lack of hy­giene,” said Dr. Ha­gar Mizrahi, head of the med­ical di­rec­torate at Is­rael’s health min­istry.

Around 100 hostages, a mix of civil­ians and sol­diers, re­main cap­tive in­side Gaza. They in­clude around a dozen for­eign na­tion­als from Thai­land, Nepal and Tan­za­nia. The mil­i­tary be­lieves at least a third of the re­main­ing hostages — and up to half of them — are dead.

Un­der phase one of the cease­fire, 33 hostages are set to be re­leased as ear­ly as Sun­day.

Dr. Mizrahi said staff are al­so prepar­ing to as­sist peo­ple with their men­tal health and have had train­ing ses­sions re­cent­ly on how to deal with the var­i­ous sit­u­a­tions that could im­pact the hostages.

Mean­while fam­i­lies and friends of the hostages are wait­ing anx­ious­ly for their loved ones to re­turn.

In a Tel Aviv square now known as Hostages Square be­cause it’s be­come a gath­er­ing place for fam­i­lies and sup­port­ers, dozens of peo­ple gath­ered Fri­day to hear the fam­i­lies speak, chant­i­ng “you are not alone!”

“I’m re­al­ly hap­py, but it al­so breaks my heart, be­cause it’s al­ready been 15 months,” said Yael Danieli, a 60-year-old re­al es­tate agent from Tel Aviv who has been ac­tive in the cam­paign to re­turn the hostages.

No one thought they’d be aban­doned for so long, she said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored