RADHICA DE SILVA
Senior Multimedia Reporter
radhica.sookraj@guardian.co.tt
As news spread that Rushton Paray, Anita Haynes-Alleyne, and Jayanti Lutchmedial-Ramdial were rejected by the UNC's National Executive and will not be contesting the Mayaro, Tabaquite and Naparima seats respectively, long-standing party members expressed frustration and disappointment over the decision.
Nicolas Morris has been selected for Mayaro while Dr Narindra Roopnarine, has been given the Naparima seat, ahead of Kamini Ramraj, who was endorsed by former Naparima MP Nizam Baksh.
A source told Guardian Media that Paray was informed via a WhatsApp chat that he had not been selected.
Paray in a statement expressed gratitude to Mayaro residents saying "serving the people of Mayaro has been the greatest honour of my life. Over the years, I have worked alongside many dedicated citizens, standing up for the issues that matter most and striving to make a meaningful difference in our community."
He expressed gratitude for the trust placed in him saying: "Your resilience and determination have been my greatest inspiration. While this chapter may be closing, my commitment to service and to the people of Trinidad and Tobago is far from over. The journey continues, and I look forward to the opportunities ahead to keep working for the progress and prosperity of our nation."
He ended his statement saying: "This is not goodbye, but rather, see you soon."
Meanwhile, Haynes-Alleyne could not be reached for comment, but sources close to her said she had decided to defer comment as well.
While Paray and Haynes-Alleyne's rejection were unexpected, party sources said some were expecting Lutchmedial-Ramdial to be given Naparima, after she was sidelined from the San Fernando West seat in which she had been active since the 2020 elections.
An official from Naparima expressed discontent in a message saying: "The announcement of the candidate for Naparima has left us deeply disappointed yet again. At this point, we find ourselves at a loss, uncertain of the next steps to take. Perhaps the best course of action is to let this election run its course and observe how events unfold, as we brace ourselves for another term in opposition. It is clear that we must regroup and devise a solid plan to replace the current leadership with individuals who possess a stronger vision for the future. Kamla has once again maneuvered skillfully to suppress her own supporters, perfecting the art of remaining in opposition."
Guardian Media was reliably informed that Vijay Gosine was selected for Cumuto/Manzanilla.
On Saturday night, Persad-Bissessar announced Roger Alexander as the candidate for Tunapuna, but party insiders claimed he was never screened according to process.
The source also claimed that Alexander was not the only law enforcement officer being chosen to contest the election for the UNC, which has built its campaign on failed national security and the collapse of the economy.
The source said Deodat Dulalchan, a former Assistant Police Commissioner is being considered for the seat of Chaguanas West.
Earlier this week, the UNC launched its general election campaign at Naparima College in San Fernando, introducing several candidates. Persad-Bissessar indicated plans to roll out additional candidates daily leading up to Nomination Day on April 4.