JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

3 positive COVID cases from Grenada, 1 from the US bring T&T total recorded to 137

by

Anna-Lisa Paul
1721 days ago
20200718
Terrence Deyalsingh

Terrence Deyalsingh

The three pos­i­tive COVID-19 cas­es that were record­ed in T&T na­tion­als who re­turned from Grena­da on Fri­day, has been de­scribed by lo­cal au­thor­i­ties as a wor­ry­ing de­vel­op­ment.

Speak­ing dur­ing the Min­istry of Health’s COVID-19 me­dia brief­ing on Sat­ur­day, Health Min­is­ter Ter­rence Deyals­ingh said fol­low­ing dis­cus­sions with his min­is­te­r­i­al coun­ter­part in Grena­da, con­tact trac­ing has been ini­ti­at­ed for 127 peo­ple whom they be­lieve the three would have come in­to con­tact with as they went about their dai­ly busi­ness.

The three T&T na­tion­als had been res­i­dent in Grena­da since March.

Deyals­ingh said of­fi­cials in both is­lands were con­cerned as pre­lim­i­nary re­ports claimed the three had been “all over the place” as they had not been quar­an­tined.

Urg­ing cit­i­zens in both is­lands to use this lat­est sit­u­a­tion as a warn­ing not to be­come com­pla­cent, Deyals­ingh said the three who re­main quar­an­tined, will be re-test­ed on Mon­day.

He is hop­ing those re­sults will be neg­a­tive but for now, the three are be­ing sub­ject­ed to all pro­to­cols and treat­ment that COVID-19 pos­i­tive pa­tients re­quire.

Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer Dr Roshan Paras­ram re­port­ed that up to 10 am on Sat­ur­day, there were 136 pos­i­tive cas­es of the virus record­ed in T&T. How­ev­er, he said it was dur­ing the brief­ing that con­fir­ma­tion had been re­ceived that a na­tion­al re­turn­ing from the US had test­ed pos­i­tive for COVID-19. This brings the num­ber to 137.

He promised to pro­vide an up­date in the min­istry’s 6 pm re­lease yes­ter­day, al­though he said the pa­tient would have been trans­ferred to the Cau­ra Hos­pi­tal for quar­an­tine and treat­ment.

Con­cerns have arisen as to the cir­cum­stances which re­sult­ed in this pa­tient from the US be­ing al­lowed to re-en­ter T&T as bor­ders re­main closed, while Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­is­ter Stu­art Young said they would soon be­gin look­ing at bring­ing home cit­i­zens who re­main in the larg­er coun­tries such as the US, UK and Cana­da.

A to­tal of 162 peo­ple re­main quar­an­tined at this time.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored