American energy economist Francisco Monaldi is calling the latest meeting between Prime Minister Stuart Young and United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio “positive” and says it gives hope for the Dragon gas agreement and the energy relationship between Venezuela and T&T.
Monaldi, who is a lecturer in energy economics at Rice University’s Department of Economics and also lectures in energy management at the Jones Graduate of School of Business in the United States, told Sunday Business Guardian that the licences for the Dragon gas agreement could have been cancelled and they were not and this is good news.
“The meeting does not even say anything about licences being possibly cancelled right now, which is what could have happened. This comes following the announcement by Rubio earlier that all licences issued during the Biden era for the development of energy resources in Venezuela were going to be cancelled. I think that it is pretty positive for T&T. It buys a lot of time for things to be discussed and negotiated,” he said.
Speaking at a post-Cabinet news conference on Thursday, Young said he was optimistic and reported that Rubio promised that the US would not hurt T&T. On whether the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) licence for the Dragon field will be renewed when it expires in October, Young said “things are fluid.”
The men met at a meeting in Jamaica on Wednesday.
In the conversation, Rubio indicated he was pleased with the information Young provided on Dragon gas deal. He said US foreign policy is not meant to harm T&T as it pertains to energy security.
Monaldi also expressed the view that the meeting between Prime Minister Young and Rubio comes at a “crucial time.”
“The second thing that I think is important to note is the very timing that this meeting occurred which provides a lot of hope for T&T and its energy projects because let us face it, this is a very crucial moment right now. That is because it is the moment in which the announcements of the revision of the whole policy and the maximum pressure on Venezuela is happening. So, these licences have survived for the moment, partly because of this meeting. It could have been a different situation if they had gone for the maximum pressure initiative.”
The US Government has also extended the period for the wind down of Chevron’s operations in Venezuela until May 27, which Monaldi also said is another example of good news.
“So, if we do not see any action in terms of the licences in the next few days and particularly before the expiration of the Chevron licences, and even if the Chevron licence expires on May 27, that could be a signal that this will be left for later and that there is potential for getting the licence renewed, which is ultimately what is necessary for any of these projects to have any viability.”
Monaldi also said US Special envoy Richard Grenell wants to come to an agreement with Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and it would be an “America first” policy which allows U.S. companies to carry out projects in Venezuela. This is part of Trump’s pragmatic transactional approach in which immigration is the top issue and some of the energy resources will be used as leverage for deportation.
“In that world, there is some possibility for the T&T projects to move forward because they could incorporate the US companies or there could be a way to make it into that vision of ‘America First.’ At this point, I do not think that we know which perspective is going to dominate the US Government. Because the extension of the licences to Chevron shows that there is some space for negotiation.”
Hurt for US companies
Venezuelan economist Francsico Rodriguez who teaches economics at the University of Denver in the US has also taken an optimistic position.
On his X account on Monday, he said the extension of the Chevron licence in Venezuela is not intended to cut off Venezuelan oil exports, but rather would be a strategy designed to “favour sales to the US over other destinations.”
On social media, he noted that many licenses of this type are issued for short periods and are constantly renewed.
“The best example is General License 5, which has been renewed 18 times. It wouldn’t be surprising if we enter a similar pattern with Chevron,” he emphasised.
Regarding the imposition of tariffs, the economist noted that Venezuela “can still export oil to the US, but is now threatened with sanctions if it sells to other countries.”
“As long as current licenses remain valid (and Chevron could renew them), the policy encourages selling more oil to the US, not less,” he added.
He noted that Trump refers to “secondary tariffs,” but that term “doesn’t exist” in either US trade law or international practice.
“In the literature, it usually refers to retaliatory tariffs in trade wars, not punishments for trading with third parties,” he added.
Rodríguez emphasised that this appears to be an attempt to replace secondary sanctions with tariffs, “but there’s a key problem: US sanctions target specific companies, not entire countries. Tariffs don’t work that way.”
“The US also has no way to control Venezuelan crude sales. Much of it moves through ship-to-ship transfers. Washington doesn’t have access to customs data from China or many other countries. Enforcement is essentially impossible,” he said.
Another prominent Venezuelan economist Luis Vicente Leon on his X account on Tuesday said the situation could evolve in different ways but made a similar argument to Rodrihuez. Leon said the latest move of the United States is designed to ensure its companies are the only players in Venezuela’s energy market.
“For now, we know that Chevron’s winddown period has been extended for two more months, and the remaining licences remain active. In light of the recently issued executive order, the oil produced by these companies can still enter the United States duty-free. This means it will be cheaper than oil from the rest of the world. If the decision is made to change oil policy with a new Trump-style licensing system, what appears to be a policy of maximum pressure could instead become a policy of ‘maximum American control’ over Venezuelan energy, which could continue to flow into that country’s market. That would come with a price advantage that would allow the US to influence other heavy oil suppliers. It would be an unconventional and highly questionable strategy, creating a monopoly (or rather, a single-buyer monopsony) for Venezuelan energy.”
Leon said that Trump would kill several birds with one stone.
“He controls the world’s largest oil mine, buys cheaply, pushes down energy prices, and reduces Chinese influence in the region, all while indulging rhetoric against the Maduro Government, albeit without producing political change. For its part, beyond ethical considerations, Venezuela could continue sending oil to the North American market and even increase its production for them.”