JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Tender for COVID vaccine chiller to go out soon

by

Anna-Lisa Paul
1587 days ago
20201128
Minister of Health Terrence  Deyalsingh

Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh

SHIRLEY BAHADUR

A site in Cou­va has been se­lect­ed for con­struc­tion of a chiller for the COVID-19 vac­cine. Health Min­is­ter Ter­rence Deyals­ingh said on Sat­ur­day they will be go­ing out to ten­der short­ly for this.

“We are con­tin­u­ing with plans to build the chiller and a step-down at Cou­va,” he added.

The Min­istry of Health has al­ready en­gaged the T&T Med­ical As­so­ci­a­tion to as­sist with the dis­tri­b­u­tion pro­gramme. He said stor­age fa­cil­i­ties could not be ad­vanced be­fore as they had been wait­ing to learn more about the vac­cine’s char­ac­ter­is­tics.

Mean­while, the min­is­ter said a mul­ti-dis­ci­pli­nary team had been set up as part of T&T’s pre­pared­ness to re­ceive the COVID-19 virus months ago. He said in terms of lo­gis­tics, stor­age, IT, fi­nance, and com­mu­ni­ca­tions, this team is in place and has been work­ing.

The min­siter, who was speak­ing at the Min­istry of Health’s COVID-19 me­dia brief­ing, al­so urged cit­i­zens: “Don’t let COVID-19 parang your house this Christ­mas.” Like last week, the min­is­ter again ap­pealed to peo­ple to cel­e­brate qui­et­ly this year.

Deyals­ingh said he has reached out to Ro­man Catholic Arch­bish­op Ja­son Gor­don and head of the In­ter-Re­li­gious Or­gan­i­sa­tion (IRO) Dr Knol­ly Clarke to coun­sel their re­spec­tive con­gre­ga­tions about the dan­gers of open­ing their homes and ex­pand­ing cir­cles to in­clude out­siders.

He said while Christ­mas is a time for re­joic­ing, cel­e­brat­ing the birth of Je­sus Christ, in­creased prayer and so­cial gath­er­ings, cit­i­zens could not af­ford to be­come com­pla­cent and let their guard down.

Point­ing to the re­cent­ly con­clud­ed Di­vali cel­e­bra­tions where the Hin­du com­mu­ni­ty heed­ed the call to keep the cel­e­bra­tions small and qui­et, Deyals­ingh said the in­fec­tion num­bers that were record­ed in the weeks af­ter in­di­cat­ed there had been no “se­ri­ous uptick in cas­es that we could say was due to Di­vali." Deysls­ing said "the Hin­du com­mu­ni­ty re­spond­ed bril­liant­ly to our calls and that is how you can cel­e­brate a holy and im­por­tant fes­ti­val safe­ly. We are ask­ing the same thing now of the Chris­t­ian com­mu­ni­ty and al­so be­cause Christ­mas is cel­e­brat­ed by all re­li­gions and all peo­ple.”

Ac­knowl­edg­ing the men­tal stress peo­ple had been ex­pe­ri­enc­ing as a re­sult of the COVID-19 lock­down and the sub­se­quent re­stric­tions, the min­is­ter said it was a small sac­ri­fice to make in or­der to pre­serve lives.

He said, “Con­sid­er these lit­tle sac­ri­fices, and they are lit­tle, an in­vest­ment in your fu­ture for 2021.”

Tweak­ing the tra­di­tion­al new year greet­ing slight­ly, Deyals­ingh sug­gest­ed, “Now we have to tell peo­ple to have a safe and healthy New Year and to try and be alive for 2021.”

Rolling out the MOH’s wish list for mid to late De­cem­ber, he said they want­ed to see a de­cline in deaths; a de­crease in peo­ple need­ing to be hos­pi­talised; and greater pro­tec­tion of the el­der­ly pop­u­la­tion whom he said would “bear the brunt of our cel­e­bra­tion this Christ­mas.”

Ques­tioned if the MOH had found any leg­isla­tive frame­work through which the pub­lic could be charged for not ad­her­ing to pub­lic health reg­u­la­tions es­pe­cial­ly so­cial dis­tanc­ing and re­strict­ing num­bers at so­cial gath­er­ings, Deyals­ingh said, “The Le­gal De­part­ment of the MOH un­der the sug­ges­tion of the of the At­tor­ney Gen­er­al, has been con­fer­ring with the Of­fice of the AG to see if and how that can be done.”

But he added, “We should not wait for the State to do any­thing puni­tive. What we are ask­ing peo­ple to do is just be re­spon­si­ble this Christ­mas.”

Ad­mit­ting that 80 per cent of peo­ple who con­tract­ed the virus would be able to “shrug” it off, he warned that it was in re­turn­ing home af­ter lim­ing and par­ty­ing that these peo­ple could in­fect their el­der­ly rel­a­tives.

“You may think that you ex­ist in your own lit­tle bub­ble but once you in­ter­act with peo­ple, you are in­ter­act­ing with per­sons of dif­fer­ent bub­bles,” Deyals­ingh said.

“That is what we are scared about this De­cem­ber. It just takes one spark to in­fect one of those bub­bles…it could be the small lime, it could be the gym, it could be your work­place, it could be your kids class­es, it could be your part­ner’s job, it could be your in-laws, and that is what we are try­ing to avoid this De­cem­ber be­cause if we start to get those sparks, the sparks grow in­to a wild­fire where each bub­ble now be­comes in­fect­ed.”

The min­is­ter re-em­pha­sised that COVID-19 was no re­specter of so­cio-eco­nom­ic class, eth­nic­i­ties, ge­og­ra­phy, and ed­u­ca­tion­al qual­i­fi­ca­tions.

In­di­cat­ing he had turned down all in­vi­ta­tions dur­ing this sea­son and had closed his doors to the num­bers that usu­al­ly drop by dur­ing the Christ­mas pe­ri­od, Deyals­ingh said his fam­i­ly’s cel­e­bra­tions would al­so be low-key as he was a 63-year-old di­a­bet­ic who did not want to spend Christ­mas be­ing in­tu­bat­ed and de­pend­ing on the med­ical sys­tem to see a new year.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored