JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

New vaccination programme for the elderly

by

SHARLENE RAMPERSAD Sharlene Rampersad
1391 days ago
20210612
Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh.

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh.

Af­ter a dis­as­trous at­tempt at a first-come, first-serve vac­ci­na­tion pro­gramme for el­der­ly peo­ple last week, Health Min­is­ter Ter­rence Deyals­ingh has an­nounced a new vac­ci­na­tion pro­gramme.

Speak­ing dur­ing a press con­fer­ence at the Diplo­mat­ic Cen­tre in St Ann’s, on Sat­ur­day, Deyals­ingh said the new pro­gramme will be aimed at se­nior cit­i­zens over 65 years old and will be­gin on Wednes­day.

The new pro­gramme will be car­ried out at 36 health cen­tres run by five Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ties (RHAs), Deyals­ingh said.

“Per­sons 65 and over, we are go­ing to tar­get you be­cause we have in our RHA data­bas­es per­sons who are 65 and over, our hos­pi­tal clin­ics, we do have some peo­ple 65 and over al­ready on our data­base wait­ing for an ap­point­ment, we will be con­tact­ing you and ask­ing you to come to the sites,” the Min­is­ter said.

He said el­der­ly peo­ple are no longer re­quired to vis­it health cen­tres and line up or be in­con­ve­nienced.

Deyals­ingh said this new pro­gramme will al­so tar­get the res­i­dents of homes for the el­der­ly across the coun­try. He said to date, 750 res­i­dents and care­tak­ers at these homes have al­ready been vac­ci­nat­ed.

The pro­gramme will al­so tar­get shut-ins.

“Start­ing from Wednes­day, we are go­ing to tar­get the shut-ins, we are go­ing to you, in your com­mu­ni­ties, in your homes, via our dis­trict health vis­i­tor pro­gramme, in this ad­just­ed process, we are com­ing to you, a sig­nif­i­cant turn­around from what ex­ist­ed,” he said.

How­ev­er, the num­ber of vac­cines avail­able in this tranch is lim­it­ed as Deyals­ingh said on­ly 20,000 dos­es of the Sinopharm vac­cine will be al­lo­cat­ed at this time.

Those 20,000 vac­cines come from a ship­ment of 200,000 Sinopharm vac­cines ex­pect­ed to be de­liv­ered in T&T on Mon­day af­ter­noon.

Be­cause the Sinopharm vac­cine re­quires pa­tients to re­ceive two dos­es to be con­sid­ered ful­ly vac­ci­nat­ed, 150,000 of that ship­ment will be held to guar­an­tee sec­ond dos­es for those who have al­ready re­ceived their first jabs.

From the re­main­ing 50,000, Deyals­ingh said the Su­per­mar­ket As­so­ci­a­tion will be al­lo­cat­ed 5,000 dos­es, the Trinidad and To­ba­go Man­u­fac­tur­ers' As­so­ci­a­tion will be al­lo­cat­ed 4,500 dos­es, To­ba­go will be al­lo­cat­ed 3,000 dos­es, the con­struc­tion sec­tor will be al­lo­cat­ed 5,000, bankers will be al­lo­cat­ed 2,000, CEPEP will be al­lo­cat­ed 2,500 dos­es, pri­vate se­cu­ri­ty of­fi­cers will be al­lo­cat­ed 5,000 dos­es and the Di­a­betes As­so­ci­a­tion will be al­lo­cat­ed 3,000 dos­es for its mem­bers who are over 65.

Deyals­ingh said the Min­istry’s cur­rent vac­ci­na­tion goal by Ju­ly is to have 188,900 adults ful­ly vac­ci­nat­ed. He said this is Goal One and is sub­ject to change as more vac­cines be­come avail­able.

As of 4 pm yes­ter­day, Deyals­ingh said 150,692 peo­ple have re­ceived their first dose of the vac­cine and 9,843 peo­ple have been ful­ly vac­ci­nat­ed.

The Min­is­ter said in the next two to three weeks, a new IT plat­form to ac­com­mo­date the Min­istry’s ap­point­ment sys­tem should be launched.

Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley al­so sought to give as­sur­ance to those el­der­ly cit­i­zens who do not re­ceive calls to get vac­ci­nat­ed in the com­ing days.

He said, “I am sure we have many more than 20,000 in that cat­e­go­ry, so un­der­stand from now, it is not every­body in the cat­e­go­ry that is go­ing to get be­cause we just don’t have enough vac­cines but on this go around with the 20,000, we will have a smoother, clear­er arrange­ment and for those who didn’t get ser­viced in this group, in the next group, rest as­sured that we will come back to it again be­cause it is gov­erned by the avail­abil­i­ty of the vac­cines.”

CMO: Of­fi­cials to wait and see if there is a COVID spike from mass gath­er­ings

Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer Dr Roshan Paras­ram, mean­while, said health of­fi­cials will have to wait and see if there is a COVID-19 spike from the three days of mass gath­er­ings this week as el­der­ly cit­i­zens across the coun­try flood­ed health cen­tres try­ing to get vac­ci­nat­ed.

Paras­ram was re­spond­ing to ques­tions from Guardian Me­dia.

“When­ev­er you have a gath­er­ing of peo­ple, where so­cial dis­tanc­ing and mask­ing is not there, there is a po­ten­tial for spread, it re­quires naïve peo­ple, mean­ing peo­ple who are not in­fect­ed, it re­quires peo­ple who are in­fect­ed as well,” Paras­ram said.

He said there are many un­known fac­tors but added that when he looked at the pho­tos from those gath­er­ings, most peo­ple were wear­ing their masks.

How­ev­er, he said health of­fi­cials will have to wait to see what hap­pens in two weeks.

“Again it is spo­radic gath­er­ings in small lo­cal­i­ties, it’s not all over the coun­try, it was in par­tic­u­lar health cen­tres that it oc­curred so we will wait the time and see what hap­pens but again, with the mask-wear­ing, it should mit­i­gate some of the spread that could have po­ten­tial­ly oc­curred,” Paras­ram said.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored