JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Govt to ramp up exemptions before Christmas

by

Shaliza Hassanali
1608 days ago
20201107
National Security Minister Stuart Young.

National Security Minister Stuart Young.

Stu­dents and na­tion­als who have been stuck out­side T&T since the coun­try closed its bor­ders in March to con­tain the spread of the COVID-19 pan­dem­ic may get an ear­ly Christ­mas gift in the form of an ex­emp­tion to re­turn home.

Bear­ing the good news was Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­is­ter Stu­art Young, as he spoke at Sat­ur­day’s press con­fer­ence at the Diplo­mat­ic Cen­tre, St Ann’s, about the mea­sures his min­istry in­tend­ed to take to bring T&T cit­i­zens home be­fore the Yule­tide sea­son.

From No­vem­ber 15, Young said they will in­tro­duce guide­lines con­cern­ing repa­tri­at­ing peo­ple to T&T.

Young said as of No­vem­ber 6, the num­ber of in­di­vid­u­als who had ap­plied to en­ter T&T stood at 13,042, while 7,204 peo­ple had been grant­ed ex­emp­tions since the bor­ders were closed.

“So that leaves cur­rent­ly 5,838 out­stand­ing ap­pli­ca­tions to en­ter Trinidad and To­ba­go.”

He said when he looked at the num­ber of peo­ple who had ap­plied to en­ter T&T at the end of Ju­ly and the fig­ure was 5,539.

Young said T&T na­tion­als who may have been domi­ciled out­side may have joined the queue to re­turn home.

He said these in­di­vid­u­als added to the 13,042 peo­ple want­i­ng to en­ter T&T's bor­ders.

He said these peo­ple are “all of our flights that have been leav­ing T&T since we have been re­sumed on a week­ly ba­sis…on a ten day ba­sis…we have flights go­ing every ten days to Bar­ba­dos, New York, Mi­a­mi, Cana­da and oth­er ju­ris­dic­tions.

Young said, “...we are now con­scious of those per­sons who…I don’t know how to put it...but jump on those flights to leave and they ex­pect to then im­me­di­ate­ly turn around when they fin­ish their busi­ness out­side and join and some­times de­mand they jump the queue to get back in­to Trinidad ahead of those who were stuck out­side.”

Young said this was some­thing they have been fight­ing against.

Young said more flights will be put in place to bring those in­di­vid­u­als back home in the com­ing weeks.

In­di­vid­u­als want­i­ng to re­turn home will be re­quired to have a neg­a­tive PCR test 72 hours be­fore en­try, while the trav­el ex­emp­tions sys­tem will re­main in place.

Up­on en­ter­ing our shores, the per­son will be put in state quar­an­tine or state-su­per­vised quar­an­tine fa­cil­i­ties for sev­en days.

“We will test per­sons who have en­tered with their neg­a­tive PCR test on the sixth day of be­ing here. And once you present your sec­ond neg­a­tive on the sixth day when we test you…you will be re­leased and you can go home.”

Young said this repa­tri­a­tion process will de­pend on the quar­an­tine space avail­able.

“We have agreed to in­tro­duce an­oth­er fa­cil­i­ty as a state-su­per­vised quar­an­tine fa­cil­i­ty. We have al­ready start­ed the prepa­ra­tions…had a con­ver­sa­tion with them yes­ter­day and the Min­istry of Health is on it to­day. This is the Kapok Ho­tel.”

The ho­tel will pro­vide an ad­di­tion­al 100 rooms, Young said.

“What I am ask­ing, Prime Min­is­ter, is the per­sons who may be for­tu­nate enough to get in­to the queue to come home for Christ­mas…we are go­ing to be ask­ing as many of them as pos­si­ble to utilise the state-su­per­vised quar­an­tine. In oth­er words, pay for the ho­tel fa­cil­i­ties for your sev­en days on ar­rival be­cause it in­creas­es the amount of per­sons we can man­age in our quar­an­tine fa­cil­i­ties.”

In ad­di­tion to Kapok, the State has been us­ing Chan­cel­lor, Re­gent Star and Cas­ca­dia Ho­tels as quar­an­tine fa­cil­i­ties.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored