JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Deyalsingh: Fake vaccines in circulation

...Govt will protect you from charlatans seeking profit

by

Anna-Lisa Paul
1440 days ago
20210425
A group of people leaving the Grand Stand after receiving the AstraZeneca  vaccine at the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain.

A group of people leaving the Grand Stand after receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine at the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain.

ABRAHAM DIAZ

Health Min­is­ter Ter­rence Deyals­ingh has warned that coun­ter­feit vac­cines are in cir­cu­la­tion across Latin Amer­i­ca and oth­er places fur­ther afield, and he is urg­ing lo­cals to en­sure they on­ly ac­cess au­then­tic COVID-19 vac­cines through the na­tion­al im­mu­ni­sa­tion pro­gramme cur­rent­ly un­der­way by the Min­istry of Health (MOH).

Deyals­ingh was speak­ing at the MOH’s me­dia brief­ing yes­ter­day when he warned, “There are coun­ter­feit vac­cines out there. There are unau­tho­rised vac­cines out there.”

He quot­ed from a re­lease in which PA­HO Di­rec­tor Dr Caris­sa Eti­enne ad­vised Latin Amer­i­cans not to be duped by peo­ple ad­min­is­ter­ing coun­ter­feit, unau­tho­rised and ex­pired vac­cines out­side of le­gal pro­grammes, as this was dan­ger­ous to their health.

Deyals­ingh said, “We who are run­ning a na­tion­al pro­gramme, when we re­ly on ev­i­dence from our sis­ter in­ter­na­tion­al part­ners like PA­HO, like WHO, like CARPHA, we are pro­tect­ing you the pub­lic from falling prey to unau­tho­rised vac­cines, coun­ter­feit vac­cines, and now the new trend is to take ex­pired vac­cines, repack­ag­ing them and send­ing them to coun­tries that don’t have strong vig­i­lance sys­tems.”

He as­sured cit­i­zens that the Gov­ern­ment would “on­ly bring in au­tho­rised vac­cines and pro­tect you from char­la­tans who seek to prof­it by bring­ing in ei­ther unau­tho­rised vac­cines, fake vac­cines or ex­pired vac­cines which are be­ing repack­aged.”

Ad­mit­ting that pan­dem­ic fa­tigue had set in among the pop­u­la­tion, blind­ing many to the fact that the virus still rages on, the min­is­ter said glob­al fig­ures con­tin­ued to in­crease with over 146 mil­lion cas­es record­ed so far.

Deyals­ingh re­peat­ed calls for peo­ple, es­pe­cial­ly those be­tween the 20 to 59 age group, to de­sist from con­gre­gat­ing/lim­ing as this was dri­ving the lat­est surge in cas­es.

He called on them to re­strict their ac­tiv­i­ties to su­per­mar­kets, phar­ma­cies and work. “We don’t need to be lim­ing.”

Pro­vid­ing an up­date on dai­ly vac­ci­na­tion num­bers, Deyals­ingh with 26 sites now op­er­a­tional, a to­tal of 29,237 peo­ple had re­ceived their COVID-19 vac­cine up to 11 am yes­ter­day. By 4 pm, 30,808 peo­ple had been vac­ci­nat­ed.

Ap­peal­ing to the pub­lic to fact check in­for­ma­tion be­fore shar­ing as it could cre­ate trep­i­da­tion among the mass­es, Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer Dr Roshan Paras­ram en­cour­aged peo­ple to check the source of their in­for­ma­tion; read the en­tire mes­sage first; check to see if the au­thor is an ex­pert and qual­i­fied to speak on the top­ic; en­sure it is not old sto­ries be­ing shared, and al­so check for bi­as­es.

SWRHA team to do full-dis­clo­sure ses­sion with rel­a­tives of Princes Town man who died

Asked if the MOH had re­ceived the re­port re­lat­ing to the death of the 60-year-old Princes Town man who al­leged­ly died days af­ter he re­ceived the As­traZeneca vac­cine, Paras­ram said it was re­ceived from the South West Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ty (SWRHA) and an ex­ec­u­tive team would meet with the man’s fam­i­ly this week to con­duct a full-dis­clo­sure ses­sion.

He de­nied the coun­try had record­ed any case of vac­cine-in­duced throm­bo­sis as a re­sult of the vac­cine be­ing ad­min­is­tered thus far.

Paras­ram said the coun­try’s bor­ders re­mained closed to al­low the au­thor­i­ties time to vac­ci­nate as many cit­i­zens as pos­si­ble, and al­so en­sure the emerg­ing vari­ants stay out as long as they can.

Pro­fes­sor of Im­munol­o­gy at UWI’s Fac­ul­ty of Med­ical Sci­ences Dr Michele Mon­teil en­dorsed the high ef­fi­ca­cy of vac­cines in­clud­ing the As­traZeneca, Pfiz­er and John­son & John­son against the UK vi­ral strain.

How­ev­er, she ad­mit­ted while they were not quite as ef­fec­tive against the African strain, it did not mean there was no ef­fi­ca­cy.

Re­gard­ing the Brazil­ian strain of which sev­er­al cas­es were re­cent­ly di­ag­nosed in Trinidad, Mon­teil said, “We are see­ing that the As­traZeneca vac­cine which we are now im­mu­nis­ing with here in T&T, is very ef­fi­ca­cious against that Brazil­ian strain, as is the Pfiz­er BioN­Tech.”

Re­spond­ing to a ques­tion as trends show that young peo­ple seem to be more sus­cep­ti­ble to the Brazil­ian vari­ant and how this might af­fect the con­tin­u­a­tion of phys­i­cal school­ing, she said, “If Trinida­di­ans would step up to the plate and get vac­ci­nat­ed so that it stops the spread of the Brazil­ian vari­ant, we will be able to open our schools.

“I think the next few months are crit­i­cal for our pop­u­la­tion and I re­al­ly urge every­one, we want our chil­dren to have a nor­mal ed­u­ca­tion, we want our chil­dren to have nor­mal de­vel­op­ment and that’s not hap­pen­ing now.”

To the adults, she ap­pealed, “Step up to the plate and be vac­ci­nat­ed.”

158 COVID deaths

The coun­try has record­ed one ad­di­tion­al COVID-19 re­lat­ed death which brings the tal­ly to 158.

Mean­while, the MOH has re­port­ed that be­tween 4 pm on Fri­day and 4 pm yes­ter­day, 105 new pos­i­tive cas­es were con­firmed in sam­ples tak­en be­tween April 21 and 23.

The to­tal num­ber of pos­i­tive COVID-19 cas­es so far record­ed is 9,592, of which 1,305 are to­tal ac­tive pos­i­tive cas­es.

The to­tal re­cov­ered pa­tients yes­ter­day stood at 8,129.

The to­tal num­ber of pa­tients cur­rent­ly hos­pi­talised is 131; while eight peo­ple are in step-down fa­cil­i­ties, with 223 peo­ple at state quar­an­tine fa­cil­i­ties, and 1,061 peo­ple in home self-iso­la­tion.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored