JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Ballots to be taken to quarantined patients

by

Raphael John Lall
1734 days ago
20200704
Ministry of Health Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram.

Ministry of Health Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram.

The health pro­to­cols for the up­com­ing gen­er­al elec­tion will be sim­i­lar to the pre-COVID-19 guide­lines ac­cord­ing to the Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer, Dr Roshan Paras­ram.

On Fri­day, Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley an­nounced that the gen­er­al elec­tion would be held on Au­gust 10.

"I think that the elec­toral process in the past would have lent it­self to some of the pub­lic health mea­sures we al­ready have in place. We have been work­ing with the Elec­tions and Bound­aries Com­mis­sion (EBC) to en­sure that they are aware of the guide­lines that should be put in place," Paras­ram said at the Min­istry of Health’s vir­tu­al press con­fer­ence on Sat­ur­day.

On Fri­day, Paras­ram shared a fi­nal draft of a guide­line which he said they want to pub­lish for the elec­tion process so that it could be used in the polling sta­tion on elec­tion day. He said the key prac­tices on elec­tion day should be so­cial dis­tanc­ing, mask-wear­ing, sani­ti­sa­tion.

Al­so, next Tues­day there will be a mock polling sta­tion set up by the EBC where the Min­istry of Health will be a part­ner to en­sure that the guide­lines are rolled out in the right way. They will then pub­lish the guide­lines for the pop­u­la­tion.

For those who are quar­an­tined, the bal­lots will be tak­en to them and af­ter it would be sani­tised be­fore be­ing re­turned to the EBC.

Speak­ing on the top­ic of elec­tion cam­paign­ing, Paras­ram said as of now the reg­u­la­tions state that crowds should be no big­ger than 25 peo­ple.

"In the com­ing months, I don’t think the de­ci­sion will be based on hav­ing a po­lit­i­cal ral­ly, the de­ci­sion will be made based on the sta­tus of the health of the pop­u­la­tion in terms of the epi­demi­ol­o­gy of the dis­ease if we go to 50. That de­ci­sion will come in the com­ing weeks. We have seen the im­pact of peo­ple con­gre­gat­ing in oth­er parts of the world with the es­ca­la­tion of the epi­dem­ic oc­cur­ring days lat­er. We are very cau­tious."

Paras­ram gave the lat­est up­date on COVID-19 pan­dem­ic which shows that the num­ber of tests done in the pub­lic sec­tor is 5,401, the to­tal num­ber of com­mu­ni­ty tests done so far has been 1,931. The to­tal num­ber of pos­i­tive cas­es are still 130 and the num­ber of deaths re­mains at eight. 498 peo­ple are in quar­an­tine at the mo­ment in the coun­try.

Health Min­is­ter Ter­rence Deyals­ingh who al­so spoke at the vir­tu­al press con­fer­ence said the next phase of re­open­ing of the coun­try would be the schools in Sep­tem­ber. He said if the Gov­ern­ment gives in to pres­sures from those who are ask­ing for the bor­ders to be re­opened, among oth­er re­quests, this will lead to com­mu­ni­ty spread and it could have neg­a­tive con­se­quences for the re­open­ing of schools.

He re­ferred to a World Health Or­ga­ni­za­tion (WHO) re­leased on Fri­day which stat­ed that coun­tries glob­al­ly are not ex­pe­ri­enc­ing a sec­ond or third wave but they are ex­pe­ri­enc­ing a sec­ond or third peak in the first wave. Right now there are just over 11 mil­lion cas­es world­wide and the WHO is pre­dict­ing a sec­ond wave.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored