JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

800,000 J&J one-dose vaccines for T&T by August

...more Sinopharm jabs coming

by

Anna-Lisa Paul
1398 days ago
20210605
The list of the thirty six Facilities for the continuation of the COVID-19 Vaccination Roll-out: Sinopharm 1st Dose.

The list of the thirty six Facilities for the continuation of the COVID-19 Vaccination Roll-out: Sinopharm 1st Dose.

There is good news ahead for T&T in terms of vac­cine ac­qui­si­tion as the next three months should see sev­er­al hun­dred thou­sand dos­es ar­riv­ing in the coun­try, lead­ing to an ac­cel­er­at­ed vac­ci­na­tion pro­gramme.

Re­cap­ping Gov­ern­ment's ef­forts to pur­chase COVID-19 vac­cines through the CO­V­AX fa­cil­i­ty as well as all bi-lat­er­al arrange­ments and or­ders placed with the African Med­ical Coun­cil (AMC), the Serum In­sti­tute of In­dia (SII) and Chi­na, Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley said on Sat­ur­day that fol­low­ing a pay­ment last week to the AMC, "We are in line to get 800,000 dos­es of the John­son & John­son one-dose vac­cines."

De­clar­ing this had changed the pic­ture com­plete­ly, he said the first batch of this vac­cine is ex­pect­ed in Au­gust.

Speak­ing dur­ing the me­dia brief­ing at the Diplo­mat­ic Cen­tre, St Ann's, Row­ley said for the next eight weeks, T&T's vac­ci­na­tion pro­gramme would be large­ly con­fined to the third tranche of vac­cines to be ac­quired through CO­V­AX, along with a sec­ond ship­ment of the Sinopharm vac­cines which are ex­pect­ed on Thurs­day.

"We can now con­fi­dent­ly say that we have a vac­ci­na­tion pro­gramme that by the next 12 weeks...June, Ju­ly, Au­gust...de­pend­ing on the ship­ping arrange­ments, we would be able to vac­ci­nate a sub­stan­tial amount of peo­ple," he said.

"Our first tar­get is a half mil­lion peo­ple in this coun­try and based on the irons we have in the fire, we can now, as I men­tioned last week, ac­cel­er­ate our vac­ci­na­tion pro­gramme."

Cal­cu­lat­ing the num­bers of vac­cines ex­pect­ed in the com­ing weeks, the PM as­sured, "We can now fair­ly, rea­son­ably say that we are at the be­gin­ning of what is re­quired to bring this in­fec­tion un­der con­trol, to have some sem­blance of nor­mal­cy re­turn­ing to our coun­try and lives."

It is hoped that by Sep­tem­ber 1, the coun­try should be in a bet­ter po­si­tion in terms of a vac­ci­nat­ed pop­u­la­tion.

Com­mend­ing a hand­ful of US gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials in­clud­ing Vice Pres­i­dent Ka­mala Har­ris who had been ad­vanc­ing the Caribbean's po­si­tion for more vac­cines to be made avail­able, Row­ley said the US has agreed to make 25 mil­lion more vac­cines avail­able through CO­V­AX, of which six mil­lion will be al­lo­cat­ed to the Caribbean and Latin Amer­i­ca.

He said the Caribbean and South Amer­i­ca were among the worst coun­tries on the re­ceiv­ing end of vac­cines right now as there were no vac­cine pro­duc­ers in this part of the world.

Mean­while, Row­ley is hop­ing the ac­cel­er­at­ed vac­ci­na­tion pro­gramme could lead to stu­dents be­ing able to re­turn to schools in Sep­tem­ber as he urged peo­ple not to get caught up with vac­cine brands and ac­cept what is be­fore them.

Dis­miss­ing claims by a busi­ness­man that the pri­vate sec­tor had ac­quired a pre­ferred vac­cine, im­port­ed it in­to T&T and was dis­pens­ing it to on­ly a par­tic­u­lar seg­ment of the pop­u­la­tion, the prime min­is­ter de­fend­ed both him­self and the Cab­i­net.

He said, "The Gov­ern­ment has been up­front and with the peo­ple with me as Prime Min­is­ter lead­ing from the front with the health­care sys­tem stand­ing in the breach day and night for over a year to en­sure you get the best out­come in a pan­dem­ic."

Sym­pa­this­ing with the rel­a­tives of those who had passed dur­ing the pan­dem­ic, he called on the pri­vate sec­tor to work with the au­thor­i­ties to en­sure their em­ploy­ees and loved ones are vac­ci­nat­ed as soon as the op­por­tu­ni­ty presents.

Moves to re­place ap­point­ment sys­tem with a first-come/first-serve arrange­ment

Health Min­is­ter Ter­rence Deyals­ingh said blocks of 5,000 vac­cines each have been made avail­able to peo­ple in the con­struc­tion in­dus­try; the man­u­fac­tur­ing sec­tor; and su­per­mar­kets/phar­ma­cies.

By mid-Ju­ly, it is ex­pect­ed that 88,900 peo­ple would have been vac­ci­nat­ed with the As­traZeneca vac­cine; while an ad­di­tion­al 50,000 will re­ceive the Sinopharm vac­cine.

Set­ting up mass vac­ci­na­tion sites to ac­com­mo­date more cit­i­zens from the var­i­ous sec­tors, Deyals­ingh said 15,000 peo­ple from sig­nif­i­cant in­dus­tries will soon be among the vac­ci­nat­ed num­bers.

Ad­di­tion­al­ly, the min­istry has al­so reached out to the food and bev­er­age sec­tor, as well as the pri­vate se­cu­ri­ty to get num­bers that can be ac­com­mo­dat­ed in the com­ing weeks.

In­creas­ing health fa­cil­i­ties from 32 to 36 where vac­cines are be­ing ad­min­is­tered, Deyals­ingh said they are mov­ing to re­place the ap­point­ment sys­tem with a first-come/first-serve arrange­ment.

He said as more and more vac­cines be­come avail­able, the min­istry will al­so be set­ting up mo­bile units and dri­ve-thru sites where peo­ple can ac­cess vac­cines.

8 COVID deaths, 391 new cas­es

The Min­istry of Health has record­ed eight ad­di­tion­al COVID-19 re­lat­ed deaths. The peo­ple were four el­der­ly males and three mid­dle-age fe­males with co­mor­bidi­ties, as well as one mid­dle-aged man with­out co­mor­bidi­ties. This brings the to­tal num­ber of deaths to 564. The Min­istry has al­so record­ed 391 new cas­es in the last 24 hours, bring­ing the to­tal num­ber of ac­tive cas­es to 10,064. There are cur­rent­ly 421 pa­tients in the hos­pi­tal, of which 44 are in HDU and 15 in ICU.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored