JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Vaccine uptake slows down

by

Renuka Singh
1335 days ago
20210807
Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh.

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh.

ABRAHAM DIAZ

In the past week, T&T ad­min­is­tered on­ly 4,500 dos­es of vac­cines and not the 10,000 to 15,000 ex­pect­ed.

Min­is­ter of Health Ter­rence Deyals­ingh said that the coun­try was not where it need­ed to be with vac­ci­na­tions.

"We are not hap­py with the vac­ci­na­tion fig­ures," he said at Sat­ur­day's Min­istry of Health COVID-19 up­date.

"By now, we should have been touch­ing 500,000 first-dose. We are 415, 826, 30 per cent of the pop­u­la­tion," he said.

Deyals­ingh said that the Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ties are now go­ing door-to-door to help bol­ster the num­ber of vac­ci­nat­ed peo­ple.

"If we take up these vac­cines now, in five weeks we should be prob­a­bly hav­ing to re­port no more deaths be­cause you get vac­ci­nat­ed now, you wait three weeks for your sec­ond dose and two weeks to pass. That is how easy it is to bring down our mor­tal­i­ty fig­ures and our ICU and HDU fig­ures," he said.

Last week the coun­try re­port­ed­ly re­ceived a gift of 83,030 dos­es of As­traZeneca vac­cines from Cana­da. Deyals­ingh said some 31,330 of those vac­cines are ex­pir­ing at the end of Au­gust.

"So we have just un­der two to three weeks to get these in­to arms," Deyals­ingh said.

He said 50,700 would ex­pire at the end of Oc­to­ber.

"So it fits in ba­si­cal­ly in the eight to 12-week win­dow that we have be­tween As­traZeneca first dose and sec­ond dose," he said.

How­ev­er, the min­is­ter said Sat­ur­day that 84,000 vac­cines will be al­lo­cat­ed to mass sites through­out the coun­try.

This is what he said:

*To­ba­go will re­ceive 4,000 of these vac­cines and are ex­pect­ed to be­gin their roll­out on Tues­day or Wednes­day.

The Trinidad sites be­gin their roll­out to­mor­row.

*The Pad­dock at the Queen's Park Sa­van­nah has been al­lo­cat­ed 3,000 vac­cines, while the NA­PA site has al­so been al­lo­cat­ed 3,000 vac­cines.

*The UTT site in Ch­agua­nas has been al­lo­cat­ed 5,000 dos­es, and the Rac­quet Cen­tre, El So­cor­ro, has been al­lo­cat­ed 4,000 dos­es.

*The San­gre Grande Civic Cen­tre has been giv­en 2,000 dos­es, and the Ma­yaro Re­gion­al Sport­ing Com­plex has been al­lo­cat­ed 1,000 dos­es.

*The site at SAPA has been giv­en 10,000 dos­es, while the Di­vali Na­gar site and the Ato Boldon site have been al­lo­cat­ed 5,000 dos­es each.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored