JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Slow and steady restart to doubles sales

by

Kevon Felmine & Peter Christopher
1787 days ago
20200511

KEVON FELMINE
kevon.felmine@guardian.co.tt

Weeks of crav­ing for the savoury taste of dou­bles, aloo pies and pholourie did not re­sult in a mad rush as the sale of T&T’s pop­u­lar street foods re­sumed yes­ter­day.
But many ven­dors told Guardian Me­dia they al­so did not cook their usu­al amount of the In­do-Trinida­di­an del­i­ca­cies, as they pre­dict­ed a hash­er mar­ket brought on by COVID-19.

More than six weeks had passed be­fore ven­dors were al­lowed to re­turn to ac­tiv­i­ty yes­ter­day as Gov­ern­ment ini­ti­at­ed phase one of the COVID-19 re­open­ing plan.

Dubbed the dou­bles cap­i­tal of T&T, busi­ness at Debe Dou­bles was slow but steady, a con­trast to the usu­al crowds and traf­fic con­ges­tion along the SS Erin Road. On­ly two of the five out­lets were open.

At D’ Green Shed, Rose­mary Has­sanali said peo­ple were trick­ling in af­ter they opened at 6 am. Has­sanali said with less than 36 hours to pre­pare af­ter Prime Min­is­ter Dr Row­ley an­nounced the lift­ing of re­stric­tions against food out­lets, Moth­er’s Day was a rush.
“It was a late an­nounce­ment and we just had to leave and run to the gro­cery to get food like chan­na. Yes­ter­day, we got ban­da­nia and gar­lic in the mar­ket. For the whole day yes­ter­day I was busy,” Has­sanali said.
But they were hap­py to re­open, es­pe­cial­ly the work­ers who spent weeks with lit­tle in­come com­ing in. Al­though there was no rev­enue for the busi­ness, Has­sanali said she did not fuss as she un­der­stood the shut­down was for the coun­try’s safe­ty.
San­dra Ram­rat­tan, the cook at Kr­ish­na’s Food Cen­tre, al­so found sales slow and sur­mised peo­ple did not have much mon­ey. Ram­rat­tan said get­ting ready to re­open was dif­fi­cult, as they had out­stand­ing bills and no in­come over the last month.
“We are try­ing to make up some in­come. We are try­ing to cope with it. The past weeks were hard, so I feel hap­py and grate­ful to­day be­cause of in­come com­ing in,” Ram­rat­tan said. 
There were signs and in­struc­tions for cus­tomers to join lines and phys­i­cal­ly dis­tance them­selves from each oth­er yes­ter­day. Has­sanali said there was al­ways a sink for cus­tomers to wash their hands and all work­ers wore masks. 
While there were re­ports of food in­fla­tion, Has­san­li and Ram­rat­tan did not no­tice any in­crease in the cost in the items they use. As such, they do not plan to in­crease their prices.
While some cus­tomers just want­ed to sink their teeth in­to the steam­ing meals, they were urged to take it away. And with a dou­ble or aloo pie tast­ing best while hot, some took it to their ve­hi­cles and ate be­fore leav­ing. 
“I was re­al­ly long­ing for hot aloo pie on the spot but it was on­ly when I reached here that I re­alised I could not do that. I am go­ing to my car and eat,” Wasym Stew­ard said.
For Sharmil­la Singh, it was five weeks since her crav­ing for a “dou­bles with slight” be­gan. 
“This feels re­al good,” Singh said as she smiled and walked off with her treat.
Along the East-West cor­ri­dor it was the same.

“No­body eh clus­ter­ing, nor­mal thing. I was ex­pect­ing that it wouldn’t be so busy from now. A lot of peo­ple now catch­ing a grip on things and then they try­ing to be safe so it will take some time,” said Khyam Ali, a ven­dor on Cipri­ani Boule­vard

Nor­man Sam­my, of George and Son dou­bles on Car­los Street, said they asked cus­tomers to keep a safe dis­tance in the line.

“But you know Tri­nis, they like to do what they want, how they want, when they want, but we ask them to keep a space in the line. We have the wa­ter with the soap to wash hands. Now we eh en­cour­ag­ing no eat­ing on the spot, we en­cour­ag­ing every­body to put they or­der, take away to avoid every­body bunch­ing up here.”

A sim­i­lar ap­proach was tak­en at Dass Dou­bles on El So­cor­ro Road, San Juan, with pa­trons on­ly al­lowed to ap­proach the ven­dor af­ter their or­der was ready. This prompt­ed one cus­tomer in the line to even joke that af­ter wait­ing six weeks, he had to wait even longer to get his dou­bles.

De­spite re­ports that there might be a con­sid­er­a­tion to raise the price of dou­bles, all ven­dors Guardian Me­dia vis­it­ed yes­ter­day kept their prices at $5.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored