JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Gov’t to spend $6b on COVID-19 relief

by

Chester Sambrano
1786 days ago
20200512
Minister of Finance Colm Imbert

Minister of Finance Colm Imbert

Guardian File

Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert says Gov­ern­ment plans to spend up to $6 bil­lion as part of its COVID-19 re­lief ef­fort.

He gave the break­down dur­ing yes­ter­day’s COVID-19 news con­fer­ence as he at­tempt­ed to clear up what he called “mis­in­for­ma­tion in the sys­tem” on what Gov­ern­ment is do­ing to pro­vide as­sis­tance dur­ing the pan­dem­ic pe­ri­od.

He said Gov­ern­ment has so far spent $934 mil­lion through its var­i­ous min­istries and agen­cies. The bulk of the spend­ing came from his min­istry.

He ex­plained that funds were spent on salary re­lief, a cred­it union agree­ment, Val­ued Added Tax (VAT) re­funds, bonds, face masks, the To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly and the To­ba­go Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ty.

“We have fur­ther pro­vi­sions for To­ba­go in due course,” he said.

He added that they have al­so se­cured a US$65 mil­lion loan to as­sist the state-owned Caribbean Air­lines, which has been se­vere­ly hit by closed bor­ders world­wide.

“As you would re­alise, Caribbean Air­lines is earn­ing no mon­ey at this time,” Im­bert said, adding ad­di­tion­al sup­port for WASA is al­so be­ing looked at right now.

He said the much talked about small and medi­um busi­ness sec­tor was al­so a fea­ture for fi­nan­cial as­sis­tance. Im­bert said Gov­ern­ment is “in the fi­nal stages of a loan pro­gramme” where it will sub­sidise the in­ter­est and pro­vide some sort of guar­an­tee for those in that brack­et and some $300 mil­lion has been al­lo­cat­ed for this mea­sure.

“It’s for pay­roll sup­port, it’s to keep peo­ple in jobs, it is to al­low them to re­main in busi­ness,” he said.

He said the Min­istry of So­cial De­vel­op­ment and Fam­i­ly Ser­vices has spent $98.1 mil­lion to date on its range of so­cial pro­grammes, which in­clude food cards, cash sup­port cards, school feed­ing food cards, rental as­sis­tance and in­come as­sis­tance.

The min­istry lead­ing the COVID-19 fight, the Min­istry of Health, has so far utilised $55 mil­lion but Im­bert said, “if there is an in­crease in cas­es, God for­bid, then the min­istry would have to spend some more mon­ey.”

In this re­gard, he said an ad­di­tion­al pro­vi­sion of 250 mil­lion would be made avail­able.

“We are giv­ing Health every cent they need.”

The Min­istry of Agri­cul­ture has al­so used $1.3 mil­lion to en­sure fresh pro­duce, “and that fig­ure may ac­tu­al­ly go up in terms of in­creas­ing the amount of fresh pro­duce avail­able.”

Oth­er monies were spent by the Min­istry of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty - $3.7 mil­lion, Of­fice of the Prime Min­is­ter—10 mil­lion, Min­istry of Rur­al De­vel­op­ment and Lo­cal Gov­ern­ment—$13.9 mil­lion and the T&T Po­lice Ser­vice - $5.3 mil­lion.

Im­bert knocked what he called un­rea­son­able re­quests from some quar­ters in so­ci­ety, for ex­am­ple for the waiv­ing of tax­es and wa­ter and elec­tric­i­ty rates. He said if this was done, “it just means that the trea­sury will have to put out more.”

How­ev­er, he is con­vinced the Gov­ern­ment will be able to fund the COVID-19 mea­sures and the over­all bud­get.

“We are sat­is­fied, on prop­er ex­am­i­na­tion of all that is avail­able, that there is more than ad­e­quate fi­nanc­ing avail­able to cov­er both the bud­get deficit and debt ser­vic­ing,” Im­bert said.

“I don’t think we’ll have any dif­fi­cul­ty at all, we’ve been do­ing our home­work for the last month.”

In April of this year, Im­bert re­vised the fis­cal deficit due to the hit ex­pect­ed from COVID-19 and the fall in in­ter­na­tion­al en­er­gy prices.

The deficit was orig­i­nal­ly es­ti­mat­ed at $5.3 bil­lion but is now ex­pect­ed to ex­pand to $15.5 bil­lion.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored