JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Magdalena RFP closes in a month

by

Andrea Perez-Sobers
74 days ago
20250119

There have been a few in­quiries in­to the 178-room Mag­dale­na Grand Beach and Golf Re­sort in To­ba­go that is still up for sale.

This af­ter Evolv­ing Tec­Knolo­gies and En­ter­prise De­vel­op­ment Com­pa­ny Ltd (eTecK) which falls un­der the Min­istry of Trade, is­sued a Re­quest for Pro­pos­al of­fer­ing three op­tions in the dai­ly news­pa­pers last week.

Op­tion 1: Brand op­er­a­tor of in­ter­na­tion­al renown who would op­er­ate the ho­tel at the Mag­dale­na Grand Beach and Golf Re­sort, or a third-par­ty ho­tel man­age­ment op­er­a­tor with the brand be­ing fran­chised.

Op­tion 2: Strate­gic part­ner who will pro­vide cap­i­tal in­vest­ment and bring the nec­es­sary man­age­ment and brand­ing ex­per­tise to the Mag­dale­na Grand Beach & Golf Re­sort, which may en­tail the part­ner ac­quir­ing par­tial, ma­jor­i­ty, or full own­er­ship of the ho­tel via di­vest­ment.

Op­tion 3. Pur­chase of the Mag­dale­na Grand Beach and Golf Re­sort ho­tel as­set. Site vis­its are sched­uled for Jan­u­ary 29 to 31, with the sub­mis­sion of pro­pos­als set for a Feb­ru­ary 20 dead­line.

This is the third time eTecK is go­ing back on the mar­ket. In April 2022, the state en­ter­prise in­vit­ed ex­pres­sions of in­ter­est (EOI) sub­mis­sions, and again in Ju­ly 2024.

Back in Oc­to­ber 2019, Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert re­vealed that the Gov­ern­ment was in talks with Unit­ed States-based trav­el and hos­pi­tal­i­ty con­glom­er­ate Ap­ple Leisure Group to take over the op­er­a­tion of Mag­dale­na Grand.

Ap­ple Leisure Group is the par­ent of re­sort and brand man­age­ment com­pa­ny AM­Re­sorts and its loy­al­ty pro­gramme, Un­lim­it­ed Va­ca­tion Club.

The deal, how­ev­er, did not pan out for rea­sons not pub­licly stat­ed.

Gov­ern­ment sources at eTeck told the Sun­day Busi­ness Guardian that when last they en­quired, two com­pa­nies showed in­ter­est in re­sort prop­er­ty, but they stat­ed that oth­er com­pa­nies have un­til Feb­ru­ary 20, 2025, to throw their hat in the ring.

How­ev­er, the source is quite cer­tain as to how the process was de­vel­oped for the new RFP and that the lev­el of ad­ver­tise­ment it will at­tract more in­ter­na­tion­al in­ter­est.

Con­tact­ed for com­ment, Min­is­ter of Trade and In­dus­try Paula Gopee-Scoon said a val­u­a­tion of the ho­tel prop­er­ty is cur­rent­ly be­ing un­der­tak­en and will be com­plet­ed by Jan­u­ary 31.

Asked if any in­ter­na­tion­al brand has ex­pressed in­ter­est in the prop­er­ty, Gopee-Scoon said “The RFP clos­es Feb­ru­ary 20, 2025.”

As to how much Mag­dale­na cost to con­struct, the min­is­ter stat­ed “The ho­tel was not con­struct­ed by the Gov­ern­ment. In 2008, the ho­tel was pur­chased by the then Gov­ern­ment for TT$139 mil­lion.”

The ques­tion was asked as to what be­came of the sea wall that was sup­posed to be built, Gopee-Scoon said work to par­tial­ly ad­dress the on­go­ing coastal ero­sion at the prop­er­ty was com­plet­ed by eTecK in Fis­cal 2024.

The re­sort was opened ini­tial­ly as the To­ba­go Hilton in 2000 and closed in 2008. It was re­brand­ed as the Mag­dale­na Grand Beach and Golf Re­sort in 2011.

On whether up­grades have been un­der­tak­en in re­cent years, the min­is­ter in­di­cat­ed that eTecK has un­der­tak­en up­grades to the ho­tel in re­cent years in­clud­ing; an up­grade of the golf course.

She said the restora­tion and im­proved man­age­ment ac­tiv­i­ties have yield­ed tan­gi­ble ben­e­fits, as ev­i­denced by sev­er­al ma­jor high-lev­el tour­na­ments that were held in 2024, that have en­hanced the re­sort’s rep­u­ta­tion as a pre­mier golf­ing site.

Vi­sion need­ed

To­ba­go Busi­ness Cham­ber chair­man Mar­tin George said a vi­sion of sell­ing the largest To­ba­go ho­tels is need­ed as right now it is be­ing wast­ed.

George point­ed out that the is­land’s tourism prod­uct must be­come more com­pet­i­tive, and it can­not be just cen­tred around the mom-and-pop op­er­a­tors.  

“When you look at the Caribbean and you recog­nise the high-end ho­tel rooms with in­ter­na­tion­al brand op­er­a­tors, those in au­thor­i­ty must con­duct a prop­er eval­u­a­tion as to what To­ba­go has to of­fer and move in that di­rec­tion. That is what is go­ing to dri­ve your room stock up. That is what is go­ing to bring the flights and bring the air­lift to the is­land and that is what is go­ing to help put your stamp on the tourism mar­ket in the Caribbean as a des­ti­na­tion. So, we need to be se­ri­ous about it,” George de­tailed.  

“The re­al­i­ty is that every­body is step­ping up their game since St. Vin­cent and the Grenadines got the San­dals re­sort, they have been go­ing guns, they have mas­sive air­lift com­ing in­to St. Vin­cent. Yes, we have a nice fan­cy new ter­mi­nal to come on board soon for To­ba­go but with­out the air­lift, the ter­mi­nal is go­ing to be use­less,” he lament­ed.

Out­right pur­chase  

For­mer To­ba­go Cham­ber of In­dus­try and Com­merce pres­i­dent Di­ane Hadad said the op­tion of some­one out­right­ly buy­ing the ho­tel would be a bet­ter busi­ness suc­cess, be­cause once the gov­ern­ment is in­volved, there is al­ways the in­ter­fer­ence, not nec­es­sar­i­ly from run­ning it, but the pay­ments to main­tain and up­keep the prop­er­ties, that are un­der their purview.

“I want to imag­ine that maybe the best thing both for Mag­dale­na and To­ba­go, is an out­right pur­chase. But let’s see who shows in­ter­est in in­vest­ing in To­ba­go. The air­port speaks of a par­tic­u­lar lev­el of tourism that we want to in­vest in or an­tic­i­pate or mar­ket the prod­uct,” she dis­closed.

Hadad point­ed out that there’s still talk on the ground of in­ter­est from San­dals Re­sort or that the au­thor­i­ties are go­ing af­ter San­dals.  

“I’m not sure which one it is, but you know, the ground speaks dif­fer­ent­ly. And then there’s still the Rocky Point Ho­tel project, where they in­ter­viewed their in­ter­est and in­vest­ment,” she added.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored